Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

M*Modal

Another chapter in the MModal auditing saga - Last straw

Posted: Sep 5th, 2015 - 11:35 am

I am 20+ year MT whose company was acquired by MModal a few years ago.  It would be quite easy to write a book about the fiasco this past year has been, but I will attempt to keep the details to a minimum because I know many of you are in the same boat and I will not be saying anything you don't already know.  Long story short, beginning last November (interestingly shortly after the instatement of the current CEO) I found myself in MModal's auditing crosshairs.  Once upon a time my skills were more than adequate, but I suddenly found myself both inept and inadequate, according to them.  Adding insult to injury, after 3 failed audits in a row I was required to take a language/grammar module.   (Years ago, I scored perfectly on the language portion of my ACT college entrance exam, and also was able test out of my first semester of college English composition.  Obviously, English/grammar is not a problem for me.)  I was so stressed out I failed 2 more audits.  Finally, I began passing audits for a few months in a row (5).  Unfortunately, I significantly failed August's audit, but with no critical errors.  Then it was on.  The usual bullying commenced.  You would have thought I had committed a crime.  I had had it.  I am of the school of thought that you stand up to a bully, no matter who they are.   I learned from my career military dad how to do this with superiors without crossing the lines of insubordination.  The recipients of push-back don't like this it.  AT.  ALL.  But that's what I did:  I pushed back, and firmly.  It resulted in the following email: 

"******* I have tried to call you this morning but your phone must not be functioning properly.  Due to the recent quality concerns as well as the failure to follow company policy it is decided you are no longer a good fit for M*Modal and we are terminating your employment effective immediately, ******.  Should you have questions regarding this please contact the HR Department, at *****."

That was it.  Twenty-something years as an MT and it ended this way.  They locked me out of the system while I was working.  There was no email to me to request that I urgently call them so they could tell me verbally I was terminated.  There was only 1 time stamp on my caller ID history that there was a phone call from them, but no message was left.   All I received was this vague, informal, poor excuse of a note.  There were no specifics offered as to my firing.  What's more, my name in the salutation was not followed by a comma and was a run-on to the first sentence on the same line as the body of the message, which is obviously improper punctuation in letter format.

Another interesting fact:  The account on which I worked (carried over from my old company) was ending its contract with MModal in just a few days.   I had earlier expressed, perhaps unwisely, that I was not interested in VR editing.  However, I had not yet made a final decision regarding this.

If I had it to do over again, I would do nothing differently.  I don't have the capacity at this point to just roll over and take it.  This company is run by despots.   It appears they realize they have us right where they want us in this job market and economic climate.
Thankfully, while we will have to make considerable financial adjustments, this does not put my family in dire straits.   

Well, so much for not writing a book.  ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)