Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

Offshore isn't anything to worry about - Not Hapless

Posted: Sep 1st, 2015 - 1:55 am In Reply to: Good Points - Meh

"Why else would they keep U.S. MTs except to 'use' us until they no longer need us?"

No. That sounds like something from a bitter MT with very little real world experience. (I'm not saying you're bitter, just saying it sounds like...) That, and my favorite, "They're only keeping you around until they perfect SR. They're using YOU to train the software." It's all bull.

First, they've been trying to give our jobs to offshore for the past 20+ years. Why can't they make it happen? What's wrong with the offshore MTs that they can't make it happen? It's not like they don't want the work... It's not because English is a second language to them. It isn't. The only people in India who don't speak English as a primary language are the ones in the villages. Everyone with any formal education has spoken English all their lives. Why do you think they haven't taken over yet? What COULDN'T you learn if you had 20+ years to work at it?

Second, they've also been trying to perfect SR software for the past 20+ years. (By "they" I mean Nuance specifically. They made Dragon Naturally Speaking in the 1990s. They had SR technology years before that.) Why can't they make that work? 20+ years and they still need us to figure it out. What does that tell you?

You answer your own question, why else would they keep U.S. MTs? I'll give you a hint, it's not out of the goodness of their heart.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)