Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

This is precisely the type of conformist attitude that is killing us as a profession. - echomt

Posted: Aug 3rd, 2015 - 6:01 pm In Reply to: I am not paid to think. I am paid to type verbatim what I hear. - RobotMT

Typing verbatim and not taking responsibility to acquire and apply the knowledge and skills necessary to protect the integrity of the healthcare document as well as to protect the patient from the doctors and other "morons" who dictate this nonsense is a sell out of who we are and what we do. One of the bad practices that Dr. Wyatt of the Joint Commission highlighted in his article in April was the "inappropriate use of verbatim transcription." We do not yet have the standards in place that will do away with this uninsightful practice, but as transcriptionists we should be standing up for patient safety and healthcare documentation integrity now regardless of what these "morons" are demanding in their current state of ignorance. Medical transcription is not about the doctors and others who dictate the information. It's about making sure the medical record contains accurate information that is accurately stated for the sake of effective patient care and patient safety. The "morons" doing the dictation are not capable of providing that, so it's up to us to do it. If you don't know how to do that because you lack the knowledge and skills necessary to do so accurately and effectively, then make the effort to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary and stop leaning on the excuse of "verbatim transcription" in an effort to avoid having to make the effort to do what needs to be done to be as effective in your job as the business of accurate healthcare documentation demands of all of us.

We don't work for the doctors! As part of the healthcare team, we work for the patients, and verbatim transcription is an enemy of patient care and safety. If it was only about the doctors, I would be absolutely the first in line to argue in behalf of typing exactly what they say, as these "morons" deserve every bit of the negative image they would eventually be painted with at their own hand. However, we can't just sit back and let them hang themselves and their currently misplaced image of professionalism and intelligence because doing so ends up doing damage to the patient population. So, in order to protect patients we have to continue to make the dictating "morons" look and sound better than they actually are. In my mind, that's an unfortunate side effect of doing our jobs well, but it's our obligation as part of the healthcare team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)