Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Coding / Medical Billing Today's Top Viewed: Kerplunk.. it's over. sm.. (Views: 62)

Why Andrews? - antigeekess

Posted: Jul 31st, 2015 - 5:23 pm

...and this is a serious question.  What is it about that school that makes everyone think they're so good?  What do they do that's so special?

I just passed the CPC on the first attempt (though admittedly, I haven't tried the CCS yet).  I took a 6-week online overview course that cost me $86 in November through December, and then I took an onsite course at a local community college for $100 from January through early June.  Then, I bought the "Blitz" seminar for $197 from CCO.  

Then there were the books.  I bought a very slightly damaged 2015 HCPCS for around $30.  I paid $80 for a 2014 ICD-9 (since they haven't changed since 2012 anyway).  Here's the scary part: I bought a 2014 CPT manual, too.  $10. 

As you can see, I'm operating on a pretty strict budget, here.  Nevertheless, I took and passed the CPC, using my year-old, scarily outdated CPT manual.  I ALMOST failed due to missing questions I didn't have the codes for, but made it.  With a couple points to spare.  Whew!  NOT advisable. 

(Just a note for the also poor:  If you MUST pull this bonehead maneuver due to the exorbitant costs of these books, however, keep this in mind; the new codes will likely be in the same ORDER as the old ones.  For example, if a procedure shows bilateral first, then unilateral, the new answer pairing should be in the same order.  If you can eliminate TWO of the other answers -- and they do tend to be grouped in similar pairs, and you CAN often eliminate a pair at a time -- you STILL might be able to pick the correct one, without even having the codes to look at.  This is what I tried to do.  I'm not sure if it worked, because they don't tell you what you missed & what you didn't.  I know I missed at least some of them.  The 2015 CPT has 500+ changes from the 2014.  Do whatever you can to get a new one.)   

Anyway, having pulled this off with what a lot of coders might regard as an inferior education and an outdated primary manual, I really am wondering why some of the expensive programs are so highly regarded.  What have I missed?  I'm trying to figure out where I may have any educational deficits as I look for my first coding job.  (I have been an MT for 5 years, and took all the required terminology, anatomy, disease pathology, etc. for that certificate.)  Thanks for any insights.  Geezus, I'm wordy.  LOL. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)