Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Question for those who are attempting or who have gotten out of MT... - kl

Posted: Jul 7th, 2015 - 11:32 am

Is anyone else out there having as much trouble as I am in getting a job outside of MT?  I have 8 years of experience in MT, 22 years overall in the business end of healthcare, and a BS degree in Healthcare Admin.  I have had many interviews, and I get the same response when asked about my current position as an MLS (I usually have to explain what this is)..."Oh, so you just type?"  I currently work for one of the big MTSOs, and due to the off-shoring situation and convoluted compensation plan, I have been looking to get out of this business for at least the past 7 months.  I have applied and interviewed at almost every hospital system in my area, as well as in industries outside of medical.  It seems to me that unless an employer knows from direct experience what we do, the overwhelming opinion is that we have no other skill other than to "type."  The hospitals in my area have been outsourcing their transcription and billing departments for many years, so many of the hiring managers I have encountered really have no idea what it is we do, and when I try to explain, they still do not seem to understand or appreciate all of the specialized training and skill set that an MLS has.  Just curious if those of you who have interviewed or have gotten a job outside of MT, what do you think was the key to your success? 

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)