Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Kerplunk.. it's over. sm.. (Views: 48)

Faulty impression of today's MTs... - Linda

Posted: Jul 2nd, 2015 - 8:08 pm In Reply to: Just a little perspective on that ... - sm

What a poor impression you have of today's MT.  Do you really think that we watch TV on our shift?  Your comment shocked me with your thinking that MTs, during thier work shift, drive kids places, cook, clean and home school their children?  OMG!  I'm finding this hard to believe. This discussion is about our not even having time to go to the bathroom and you think we have time to watch TV?  Wow.  That's stretching it.

Regarding your statement that our watching TV, etc. is what has dragged what used to be a respected profession to what it is today:   What used to be a respectable position was before the MTSOs took over.  We provided exellent service and had VERY happy clients for decades who never considered outsourcing.  We made a living wage.  We made the client's requested turnaround time, whether we were sick or not.  I did it once with a broken finger.  We met deadlines and handled stat dictations any time of day.  We had excellent working relationships with our MD clients.  The clients were advised when there was a dictation problem that could cause them a malpractice suit.  The appreciated the feedback - something that the MTSOs are too cowardly to give these days because they might lose the account.  We never had to worry about that.  Then come the middlemen, the greedmongers.  They still charge the clients what we charged them before we were forced to work for an MTSO, but we only got ONE THIRD THAT WAGE. from 30 years ago!   I'll tell you what caused the MT profession to collapse:  The MTSO and their bidding wars.  So what if they could only pay their MTs a few dollars an hour - as long as they got 2/3rds of that for doing nothing they were happy.  WE pay for the MTSO's poor business judgement, and we continue to do so.    

There are several things on your list of things we must be doing that you think have destroyed the profession, that we have every right to do and are perfectly capable of doing while we maintain the production we would if not doing them, such as listening the the radio. I listen to the police scanner while working because I'm someone who can multitask.  If I couldn't, or had a low volume report, I'd turn it down.  Laundry:  How many loads do you think I could have done today while waiting for the dictator to review the report, look for a lab test, or check that ejection fraction? About 3 loads.  Yes, we are penalized for their inability to correctly dictate.  If I get the message "no jobs available" you bet I'm going to catch up on laundry.  I'm not paid to sit at the computer my whole shift and wait for a job to flow through because we are not paid for that, as well as a number of other things we are required to do!  For those of us who work at home, there are certain things that we have to do, and as long as those thing don't add up to the given break time, what's the problem?   The MTSO is raking in the savings on overhead because we are paying for all the rent, electric, janitorial, security, etc., so they have a great deal with their employees working at home.   As employees, we deserve everything the Labor Board requires the MTSO to do, but they continue to break the law until they are sued.  The suits are coming. The best thing that could happen is for all the MTSOs who break the rules to go bankrupt because they can't provide what they promissed their clients for their extremely low bid.  That would be justice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)