Comments on dictator input/swiss cheese reports - SeaMT Posted: May 9th, 2012 - 10:05 am
Does anyone from *Quality* ever question the dictator input? Have any of you higher-ups ever actually listened to what is being put into your high-tech systems you pay so much for?
Is it any wonder that *Experienced* MTs leave blanks in reports? I've been in this field for a loooong time and some days I am appalled by what comes through my headphones. I don't believe some dictators even know the English alphabet (evidenced by attempts at spelling, even when reading from a report). I won't go into foul pronunciation, either by American or ESL docs.
Just a few examples: Dictator says *Coumadin 200 mg daily*, or *fentanyl 250 mg*, or *(drug name spelled) Trincyxohen*, or *patient has Troponin pallidum*.
Yes, QA/QC, we do catch these *errors*. Sometimes that is why you have reports that look like swiss cheese. Some dictators will continue to be downright sloppy, and race through the dictation without inhaling even once. So we piece paragraphs and try to make some sense of that.
I'm not commenting on New People, Inexperienced People, or People Fresh Out of School.
I'm saying that if Quality rode the input side of their business and made sure the dictators could understand the concept of Clear, Intelligible Input of patient name, acct # (again, some appear unable to read/interpret English alphabet/numerals), service date.... that in itself would lessen QA burden. If dictators who continually cannot/will not conform to *Quality Practices* during dictation would be barred from dictating (offenders would have to provide their own scribes), that would lessen QA burden.
It's not always the MTs fault that reports don't go through 100% clean. So please take that into consideration when looking at your financial bottom line.
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. You want 3-cents per line workers, you'll get 3-cents per line quality. With what is coming through as dictation these days, no wonder your newly-hired MTs are fainting by the wayside. Us *experienced* MTs get slammed repeatedly with pay cuts, damn ridiculous QA incentives (either give the bonus or don't). I myself do not appreciate ANYONE tinkering with my pay over whether I left out *the, and, or but* in a sentence that DOES NOT alter the sentence meaning.
Whew, I'm feeling much better now.
Reply By Email Options
Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)
- been gone from MM for 3 months
- Paul Ryan wants everyone to think that he's
- Is Landmark still hiring??
- GI Endocrinology..please see message
- Rheum/Osteoporosis Transcriber Wanted
- Obamacare: Well now, isn't this an interesting bit of phrasing from the Supreme Court.
- dictated, "heart rate to blood pressure product is 29, 920." I'm not sure
- has anyone made the transition or considered
- C-PHONE WITH FOOT PEDAL AND HEADSET FOR SALE
- IC Medical Transcriptionist
- In the market for a new computer
- Medical Transcriptionist's Superpackage for Voice Recognition
- In-House PT Medical Transcriptionist Position
- East MT - what's been going on with the coder program lately?
- No worries about speech recognition taking our jobs
- Set up. Set up.
- South African Doctor
- Average LPH for TTS accounts?? Trying to decide
- Is anyone making a living anymore?
- TTS Bereavement Policy?
- FIASCO is at it again
- Nice doctor
- Well, I have had the usual late night line count crushing jobs.
- Don't get too proficient!
- Dang, the doctors are spelling a lot of words tonight!
- OOW question
- Review of Systems
- Do you work at SoftScript?
- Sitting here crying, can hardly see thru tears.
- Alternative for doctors to dictate...
- is it GCFC 1 with regard to mobility level in disability?
- book of style 3rd edition
- Am I young enough to start a new career? (37)
- Dementia due to _____ myopathy
- "Garden" test
- question for those who use a laptop...
- So, take a guess. What is the community organizer going to do (sm)
- Interesting thought re audits, PM, firings, and quitting
- MTs...there is light in another home position
- Five months in & I got my first 'corrective action' today
- Company merger with imedx
- Anyone else experiencing "radio silence" from...s/m
- Where can I download a copy of TSG?
- Obamacare Getaway
- ....and so it begins. Obamacare in every aspect of your life.
- what kind of electronic drug book are you using?
- MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell Scolds Obama