Comments on dictator input/swiss cheese reports - SeaMT Posted: May 9th, 2012 - 10:05 am
Does anyone from *Quality* ever question the dictator input? Have any of you higher-ups ever actually listened to what is being put into your high-tech systems you pay so much for?
Is it any wonder that *Experienced* MTs leave blanks in reports? I've been in this field for a loooong time and some days I am appalled by what comes through my headphones. I don't believe some dictators even know the English alphabet (evidenced by attempts at spelling, even when reading from a report). I won't go into foul pronunciation, either by American or ESL docs.
Just a few examples: Dictator says *Coumadin 200 mg daily*, or *fentanyl 250 mg*, or *(drug name spelled) Trincyxohen*, or *patient has Troponin pallidum*.
Yes, QA/QC, we do catch these *errors*. Sometimes that is why you have reports that look like swiss cheese. Some dictators will continue to be downright sloppy, and race through the dictation without inhaling even once. So we piece paragraphs and try to make some sense of that.
I'm not commenting on New People, Inexperienced People, or People Fresh Out of School.
I'm saying that if Quality rode the input side of their business and made sure the dictators could understand the concept of Clear, Intelligible Input of patient name, acct # (again, some appear unable to read/interpret English alphabet/numerals), service date.... that in itself would lessen QA burden. If dictators who continually cannot/will not conform to *Quality Practices* during dictation would be barred from dictating (offenders would have to provide their own scribes), that would lessen QA burden.
It's not always the MTs fault that reports don't go through 100% clean. So please take that into consideration when looking at your financial bottom line.
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. You want 3-cents per line workers, you'll get 3-cents per line quality. With what is coming through as dictation these days, no wonder your newly-hired MTs are fainting by the wayside. Us *experienced* MTs get slammed repeatedly with pay cuts, damn ridiculous QA incentives (either give the bonus or don't). I myself do not appreciate ANYONE tinkering with my pay over whether I left out *the, and, or but* in a sentence that DOES NOT alter the sentence meaning.
Whew, I'm feeling much better now.
Reply By Email Options
Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)
- Anyone know which MTSO picked up Wing account?
- 5 day 5 reports for 98% on QA?
- Question on MModal supplied computers
- conservative chief justice's opinion on 2nd amendment
- State Dept wonders if Taliban are the enemy. Ummm,
- Infinity Foot Pedal Issues
- EXPERIENCED CLINIC TRANSCRIPTIONISTS NEEDED
- Thought for the day: "“There’s class warfare, all right,” Mr. Buffe
- Can someone tell me what the testing process is
- EXPERIENCED ACUTE CARE TRANSCRIPTIONISTS NEEDED
- orchiectomy vs orchectomy and orchidectomy
- EXPERIENCED PEDIATRIC GENETIC TRANSCRIPTIONIST NEEDED
- Granular vs. granulation on FIESA alert?
- Have a chance at what I believe is a great job.
- Wonder if US is doing background checks on the Syrian
- Over 50 terrorist attacks thwarted since
- Productivivity not being met : (
- Medical Records info sold on the internet
- Gravida 4, Para 2, "zero two two" ?
- Oh the irony - or the hypocrisy?
- 0.04 or 0.014 inch guidewire?
- Shift Change-again
- New dermatology account
- Anyone heard of this stuff?
- Duly-noted Transcription
- I have a few questions for some info I really need. (sm)
- Anyone else not replying to nasty emails? Vent
- Why do doctors try to spell?
- Leave of Absence
- Can anyone recommend a good accounting software
- "Brought in IM" ??
- Uh, uh, uh, ah, ah
- This is what happens when you use our tax money
- Anyone know Elwood? Proof to back up claim
- Here we go again with NJA
- Alpha, CommandHealth, or GIS?
- Does anyone work for Probity as a QA editor? Not an MT. What has your experience been?
- Message deleted
- Vern and Amy out
- Wow!! I just got the invitation to test email from
- OTI QC
- Are You Safe on That Sofa?
- Cardiology followup
- CNN poll - over 50% of the country doesn't trust
- Dragon back-end
- How Many Minutes a Day?
- MT-poll, MT attire