Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Tech Help Today's Top Viewed: How long does Escription take to recognize a new d.. (Views: 54)

A few questions for ShortHand users - Calamity

Posted: Apr 24th, 2012 - 9:20 pm

Greetings, fellow MTs!  I'm going back to school for my associate's degree, and I am currently taking a course in technical writing.  My course project is to write an instructional document on a narrow subject - one aspect - of a process or product related to my job.  As an MT (for now!), I'm writing on the use of ShortHand; specifically, how to create an effective user dictionary.

As one of my primary sources, I'm conducting a survey of MTs, with the following questions:

1) What are some short form conventions you use to make your entries consistent and easy to remember? For example, methods for naming ShortHand entries for different verb tenses of the same word, acronym expansions (EGD versus esophagogastroduodenoscopy), et cetera?

2) Besides straight word expansion, what other shortcuts do you create entries for (templates, generating date/time, etc.)?

3) What are some ShortHand entries that you use for speech recognition editing?

4) On average, what's your LPH (or WPH) using ShortHand compared to not using it?

Obviously, that's a lot to answer!  I'm not asking anyone to sit down and write me a long list of all their methods - we're all busy!  Just, if you have a couple of tricks to share, on all or just some of the above questions, I'm looking to get a range of tips to incorporate.

If anyone wants to participate, I'd be super grateful.  :D

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)