Unfortunately, legal transcription is off-shored just like ours - sm Posted: Apr 14th, 2012 - 11:37 pm In Reply to: Paralegal work - JustMe
I have done legal transcription of various types for a few years, but have run into the same thing - quite a bit of it is off-shored now. And the pay for work done here is atrocious. One-half cent per word! No spaces! If you do depos, most services want you to be certified. Attorneys don't care what their letters and correspondence come back like - they just want it back right now. I loved the work, but you can't type enough to make a decent living. And the majority of legal typing is done in-house and those jobs rarely come open. Unless you have a solid "in" with an attorney, it's extremely difficult to get them to outsource to you. Trying to get your foot in the door to drop a brochure or resume is just as difficult if not more so than going to a medical office.
I definitely wouldn't take a course in this field either - I thought about it since I have experience, but like I said, if you don't know the HR person in the atty's office, it's next to impossible to get in.
Reply By Email Options
Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)
- Non-MT work - Anon (Views: 517, 2012-04-11, 10:14 am)
- Non-MT Work - sprinkle (Views: 312, 2012-04-11, 9:01 pm)
- School! SM - peakgirl (Views: 321, 2012-04-11, 11:03 pm)
- Paralegal work - JustMe (Views: 246, 2012-04-12, 9:26 pm)
- Unfortunately, legal transcription is off-shored just like ours - sm
- Obama Administration Hiding the Truth about Immigration Actions
- Will Shorthand work in Edmat?
- Account Switch
- Billing -- a softer, gentler approach ... sm
- ventral hernia repair with mesh
- Voter Fraud?
- I used to care
- Doctor in NY tests positive for Ebola
- Need to start a union
- I don't remember how to log into enrich
- Cat coming to my house, kind of skittish but
- Mandatory Schedule Changes?
- Note to moderator
- How popular do you think Pay Pal is?
- retraining programs to those of us displaced by work going off shore
- Do you ever have to work while a repair person....
- Medical Transcriptionists/VR Editors needed!
- Psych Medical Transcriptionists (ICs Only)
- Obama Asserts Fast and Furious Executive Privilege Claim for Holder’s Wife
- Are there still any companies that do VA transcriptions?
- Ever hear of VMTS in Springfield, Missouri?
- Anyone here at Nuance use a laptop for work?
- Honey Boo-Boo
- Marriage opinions please
- So the TSMs fired/let go
- Any EditScript 10 Users
- ISO MT experienced in nephrology
- BISS or RISS
- Finally hit send!
- SAN DIEGO AREA, PART-TIME, IN-HOUSE TRANSCRIPTIONIST
- Canadian Parliment
- Top meteorologist now admits: "Climate Change" is bogus.
- new CEO
- Unable to Reach Server
- StenTel needs MTs!
- MModal Perks program. I just bought a
- Doby's (?) solution in ophthalmic surgery
- Quarterly Bonus
- Anyone can help with information about a keyboard. I am looking
- Minimum wage
- TSM blood bath...wish they would have fired me
- Doc spelling patient's name, says S as in Satan, then laughs...
- Loud Cars/Inconsiderate Neighbor
- writing out numbers
- Desperate Dems use lynching imagery to bring out black vote
- What is purpose of putting in a password for new posts
- Anybody with Fluency audio fail?
- He's like poison. No, no, don't help me, Barry. (sm)
- Evidence supports officer's account of shooting in Ferguson.